Aging causes the tissues that around our eyes weaken, as well as some of the muscles supporting the eyelids. Fat that normally supports the eyes then may move into the lower eyelids, causing a puffy look. Also, swelling or puffy eyes can occur with the accumulation of fluid that may build up in the space below your eyes. Although there are many reasons for dark circles, poor circulation and lack of sleep are major contributors .
Possible causes of puffy swollen eyes
- Fluid retention, especially upon waking
- ·Salty meal, high-sodium foods (ie. canned soups)
- ·Lack of sleep
- Poor circulation
- Heredity — under-eye bags run in families
- Dehydration Causes Problems,
i. Not drinking enough water
ii. Too much alcohol and
iii. Too much caffeine
Solutions to help Control Puffiness
- · Reduce salt intake
- · Elevate head while sleeping
- · To reduce allergens, swollen itchy eyes. Change and wash pillow case often
- · Apply cold Cucumber slices for 30 minutes to reduce swelling and redness
- · Apply raw potato slices (same as cucumber)
- · Drink more water
- · Apply Cold Eye Compresses,
- · Cold water - If your eyes feel extra puffy, dip a washcloth in cold water, squeeze out excess and lay over eyes
- · Chilled spoons - or try putting spoons in the refrigerator and pulling two out in the morning and placing over eyes. or try a jelly teething ring
Eye Creams for eyes with ingredients to reduce puffiness
Active ingredient: Acetyl Tetrapeptide-5 – Reduces puffy eyes due to water accumulation and eyelid edema by lessening liquid retention; enhances skin elasticity and smoothes skin.
Active ingredient: Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone – Antioxidant, repairing, reduces puffiness; flavonoid from sweet orange
Eye Revitalizer, is enhanced with a “freezing peptide,” has a cooling sensation, providing a quick pick-me up experience for the eyes
Active Ingredient: Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 – A chain of amino acids that work to inhibit muscle contractions; a wrinkle-relaxing peptide that decreases the signs of aging. Ruscus Aculeatus (Butcher’s Broom) Root Extract – Evergreen plant that has diuretic benefits; strengthens blood vessels. Calendula Officinallis Flower Extract – Anti-inflammatory, soothing
Two active ingredients:
Caffeine— stimulates and promotes healthy detoxification.
Eyeliss™— a combination of Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Dipeptide-2, and Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone. It helps prevent and reduce puffiness under the eyes
Green Tea Eye Pads
Why It Works…...
The caffeine in green tea can help shrink blood vessels around your eyes, thus reducing puffiness and dark circles. Not only does it contain valuable antioxidants, but it also has tannins.
Tannins are responsible for the tea's color and flavor; most importantly, tannins can also stimulate healthy blood circulation and help tighten and soothe skin.
- Steep an organic green tea bag (do not boil them) in hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Place them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until cold.
- Saturate two round eye pad with solution.
- Removing excess liquid from pads.
- Place pads over your closed eyes while lying down for 15 - 30 minutes.